Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Working away ...

I am keeping myself busy here ... The next quilt I  finished is a colorful customer quilt.
This is the third quilt I have done for her and they are all quite colorful!  I love the paper piecing in the border.
I decided to do a circle swirl in the center of each block ... Just to do something a little different.
She wanted to keep the costs down since it is quite a large quilt.  I stippled the rest of it.  I had a lovely deep purple thread (which I'm pretty sure I bought for one of her last quilts!), and it just went well with all the fabrics.

I think she's going to love it.

She loves to do the tops, but always asks me to make the backs and binding.  Happy to do it as I like making backs and I do love bindings too!  I got all the binding almost sewed on and realized I was one strip short ... Haha!  Oops ... Guess my math was a little off.

It takes several hours to hand sew a binding of this size ... Probably at least. 4.  Not very cost effective ... So I attached the binding by machine.  You sew the binding onto the back instead of the front.  Then you pull the binding around to the front, and if you are pretty careful, and the stars all align right, you get the stitching lined up perfectly on the back as well as the front!  This is the back of the quilt.
And here's the front ... Even on a big quilt like this it still took 1 1/2 hours to get that all sewn down.  I think she's gonna love her finished quilt!,

No comments: