Monday, April 13, 2015

Stash Report - Week 15

Just for fun ... Here is a flashback to my stash report for week 15 from last year ...

Used this Week: 0 yards
Used year to Date: 38 yards
Added this Week: 4 1/4 yards
Added Year to Date: 19 3/4 yards
Net Used for 2014: 18 1/4 yards

I was just checking my progress there ... I have used more fabric than the same time last year, cut I have also bought more fabric ... Haha!!  Am I such a nerd ... I really get a charge out of seeing the comparison.

Well I have been a busy bee this week sewing up a class sample for a stash class the end of the month.  You know what that means ... Fabric out ... Woo hoo!

Used this Week: 4 1/2 yards
Used year to Date: 43 3/8 yards
Added this Week:  0 yards
Added Year to Date: 26 yards
Net Used for 2015: 17 3/8 yards

I was originally going to use "not cute" fat quarters in this quilt, but I have done such a good job de stashing that I didn't have enough variety to pick from.  I remembered I had a UFO in a bin that had a whole fat quarter bundle of an old Fig Tree line.
This line came out in 2007 ... Allspice.  I didn't love it at the time, but I like it more now.  Think there was a color in there that really threw me off.  It is a red brown color, and I didn't use it in this quilt because I think it muddies the other fabrics too much.  I added in some yellows and a couple of dark fabrics to add some different color elements.
This is easy and a really fun pattern.  You pretty much use all of a fat quarter.  Love those no waste designs!
Every fat quarter is cut into several segments ... You sew them back together and then alternate each pieced block with a large block.  The original design was about a 70" x 90" quilt.  I didn't want to make it that big ... My quilt is 70" x 80".
It went together so quickly because of the large pieces.  I made this quilt in a weekend ... A great idea for a gift.
I needed a couple of small squares to fill in so I didn't have to cut into a fat quarter.  Out came my bin of charm packs and 5" squares ... Can you see that basket is stuffed to the top with them?  Found exactly what I needed though.
Laid out and took a photo to see what I thought of color placement.  I turned around ...
Three quilt inspectors ... I think Todd was trying to rearrange some fabrics ... Pointing out that blue square! 

Here is the finished quilt ... It does not photograph well at all ... So much cuter in person!  It was a really fun quilt to make and went so quick!


2 comments:

Susy said...

Hi Colleen,
I really enjoyed reading your post today. I love your quilt inspectors!!! That is a great quilt... is this the one you will be teaching at The Loft? I like how you are doing your checks and balances on fabric too. You are soooo together girl!
I'll be checking back soon.
Hugs, Susy Boyer

colleencl said...

Why thank you Susy!!! Exactly why I do that stash report ... To keep myself accountable to all my friends! I think it helps keep the fabric accumulation down ... Haha! Thank you so much for the kind words ... Yes that is the class at the Loft ... Just dropped the sample off with Sharon yesterday! ;-)