Thursday, December 4, 2014

Advent

I wrote this entire blog post and was almost finished, and my phone died and I lost it all ... Here we go again!

I love Chrustmas like many people, but I especially love the season leading up to it ... The season of advent ... In the church it is described as the first season of the Christian church year leading up to Christmas.  Why not brighten the season with advent calendars?  I don't remember having them when I grew up, so I guess I'm filling in for what my childhood lacked.

I have an advent calendar obsession
This picture I showed you the other day and I handmade a lot of the ornaments  that are on this tree, like the candy cane. I think it is 20 years old as well.  Remember these Deby?  There was a whole set of them.
This calendar is something I bought at JoAnn's maybe ... It is quite old, but survives well.
This was from Starbucks about 5 years ago and had little candy in every drawer.  You pull a drawer out and turn it around and it makes a picture.  It is so cute!  I don't put goodies in the drawer until my daughter comes home from college.  I fill the drawers with treats for her ... She is 29 and still loves it!  Reminds me of someone else I know.  Heh heh!  I have to enjoy doing the advent calendars myself, because once she is home, she does them all ... 
This is my latest calendar.  It came from Starbucks 2 years ago ... It needs a little cutesing up ... Each tin has a number on it and was filled with caramels.  I think the numbers are supposed to all be on the board and then removed day by day, but I'm doing it backwards.  What can I say ... I'm left handed!

This last calendar I made for my daughter two years ago and it lives in her room.  She forgot it when she went back to school after Thanksgiving break, so I have been taking care of it for her.  This was all over Pinterest and was where I got the idea from.  It was so fun!!

I have a quilted advent calendar I started many years ago and need to finish.  I will
make a pledge to work on that this holiday season.  While reading blogs tonight I saw the cutest homemade calendar . .. I would love one of these and it got me thinking about different versions ... But that will have to wait until next year!

You can find this calendar at http://homeiswheretheboatis.net/2014/12/03/birds-of-a-feather-advent-calendar/
(Photo credit: Mary, Home is Where the Boat Is blog). Isn't it adorable?!  She has the most beautiful pictures on her blog.

So how many advent calendars do you think is too much?!

No comments: