Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hi ... I'm here

Even though it's 12:30 a.m. and I've had a long day of traveling, I had to check in with you all and let you know I'm still here and have been thinking of you!  I've been so busy quilting my heart out and getting all my projects done for customers so I could go on our big vacation!  My husband and I haven't been on a vacation without kids in 22 years ... well we figured since dear son has graduated college, and sweet daughter is in college, we are pretty much free!  So hubby has a two week break that the school district takes in October, and with a couple of more days added onto it, we are driving from San Diego to northern Virginia.  Hubby has a group of friends that gets together every October and this is the first time he'll be able to see them all in years. 

We left yesterday at about 4 and had to drive to Deming, New Mexico ... we had made reservations, husband planning so each day there is about 10 hours of driving to get there ... we have to hurry and be there by Friday night, but on our way home we are taking lots of time and stopping and seeing family members as well as some other highlights that are a secret for now!  We had to drive through Tucson yesterday to see a very dear, old friend of my husband's mother.  She is such a sweet lady, and let us show up at her door at 10 p.m.  She tried to twist our arms several times to get us to stay with her, but sadly we knew we couldn't and had to stick to our plan.  She sent us on our way with snacks and drinks ... 96 years old and sharp as can be ... such a dear!

We forgot about the time change, so by the time we checked into our hotel and got into bed, it was 4 a.m.  Ugh!!  We brought our two dogs with us ... they love to travel and if you have pets that are like your children, you'll understand.  And if you don't, well you'll just think we're crazy!  Charlie heard voice this a.m. and so woke me up at 8 so I didn't get much sleep ... that's ok because I needed to get up so we could get going.  We stopped in Dallas tonight and just had a late dinner ... we are all pooped.  I'm going to get up at 6 a.m. so we can get out of here early tomorrow and not have to be driving so late at night.  I drive in the a.m. while hubby gets the rest of the sleep he missed, and he's a night owl, and loves to drive, so he'll drive the rest of the time.  Of course I brought some stitching to do and books to read ... as well as my Nook so we can do crosswords together ... me reading the clues, and him helping while he's driving.

I have lots of quilts to show you that I finished before I left, but I'll break them up so you're not overwhelmed ...
Another beauty by one of my sweetest customers ...she really likes this pantograph I have that has flowers and birds on it ... it is a Christmas present for her daughter-in-law to be (she hopes).
Glide thread, top and bobbin ... cream color
You can really see the design here
Of course it looks so much cuter in person and she absolutely loved the design.  What she doesn't realize is the design is just the icing ... her quilt just accepts the design and the beauty is in her quilting.
 
While we were out at dinner the other night I saw this cool wallpaper treatment ...
That's a close up ... I thought that this would be a really cool pattern for texture in a block or sashing.  I try to remember to look everywhere I go for ideas for quilting designs.
Wouldn't that look great in a sashing or a block that needed something?  Love it!  More tomrrow from the road!!

No comments: