Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On the tenth day of Christmas

I noticed when I was out driving around today that most people have taken their Christmas stuff down.  You know because I told you, that our Christmas does not come down until January 6.  It is a religious thing to me, but to my husband, it is just the tradition that his family always followed.  It's funny but it seems to me that people used to keep their Christmas stuff up longer, now the tradition seems to be to put it up really early and take it down right after Christmas.  I love having it linger into the new year because it is still the holiday season.

I worked very hard today on my second row of blocks.  I just have to say that these blocks are going together quite well.  I was a little concerned about it because the blocks are fairly small, and they are all on point.  That means lots of bias seams, and lots of occasion for fabric to stretch out of shape.  I starched all my half square triangle pieces before I cut them just to help stabilize them.  I also pinned a lot (I wholely believe in pinning everything ... it just makes intersections join better, and keeps your 1/4" more accurate); I use my walking foot when I'm piecing, and it is especially wonderful on a project like this.  When the blocks are small and you have a lot of seams, going over the seams can be a little wonky.  The walking foot just helps ease those layers through.  I've been doing this for a couple years now, and I would say my walking foot is on my Bernina about 90% of the time.

I finished another row today; the one on the left is the first row, and the one I did today is actually the third row...

Looking forward to finishing another row tomorrow!

No comments: