Friday, January 6, 2012

Frantic Friday

Here it is almost 11:30 at night.  I'm a little frazzled ... started my day off with coffee with a couple friends, and then I went to the gym.  I worked out hard ... cardio and weights (yay for me!) ... then I came home and started putting Christmas away.  Why does that take so long?  Shouldn't it take less time to put it away than it did to set it all up?  Most everything is packed up, except for the outside lights.  The tree is still standing in the living room, undecorated, but I can't drag it out by myself.  How does the division of work go in your house when it comes to all the Christmas stuff?  I do it all.  My husband did help put up the outside lights, but he didn't offer to take them down.  I hate having to ask; I want him to see that it needs to be done and volunteer to do it ... hmmm .. we've been married for 23 years, and so far, that doesn't seem to work very well!  My daughter was at school all day, and my son is recovering from shoulder surgery, so no help there!  I worked on all of it until about 6:30 at night.  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, and annoyed, and I think it's time to do something for myself.  I take care of my family; my mom doesn't live with us, but I take care of my mom too.  I call her every day to find out how she's doing, what she's eaten for the day; I take her grocery shopping once a week.  We got her a cell phone, she lost it; now she needs a replacement.  She doesn't drive, so I need to take one of our old ones to the cell phone store and get them to put a new SIM card in it.  I got no sewing done today, but I didn't think I would.  Tomorrow I'll sew more on the B.O.M. because that must be done and quilted by next Friday.  The open house at the store is Saturday, and it needs to be hung before the open house.  I'm supposed to be making a couple of samples for classes as well, but there is no way they will get done before next week.

Alright here ... time to step back and rebalance.  I'm working on my happiness project, remember?  One of my goals, and I've decided that I will break them up into months and work on them month by month.  So January's goal is cheerfulness ... to choose to be happy.  I think I mentioned that I was finding it easy and enjoying being cheerful, but when I'm tired it's hard to be cheerful.  When I'm overworked it's hard to be cheerful.  But that's the whole point of all of this, right?  It's not easy to develop new habits, they take work.  After the gym this morning I was feeling really up and grateful for all that I have.  Now by this evening, that all disappeared!  Sounds like I need a good night's sleep!!  What do you do for yourself to recharge?  Do you exercise, sew, read, sleep?  I have been struggling lately to get a good night's sleep.  I'm at that age where my hormones are really up and down, and my sleep cycle is affected.  I saw something interesting today, and now I have heard this twice in the last couple of months:  Wearing an eye mask to bed to keep out all the light.  Even a small amount of light can disturb your sleep.  I have wondered about that for a while now; we use an alarm clock/radio that has a light, and it's on my side of the bed.  It is pretty bright even when I turn it away from me.  I am going to invest in a sleep mask, and the one I saw today that was suggested to use, has cooling pads where the eyes are; the theory is that you sleep better when it's chilly.  I'll let you know if it works!  Now I'm off to get a good night's sleep, and help recharge my batteries! 

P.S.  My husband did offer to walk the dogs when he came home tonight because he saw that I was frazzled after I bit his head off!  Hmm ... I may have a long way to go on this cheerfulness thing!  Ha, ha ...

No comments: