Saturday, October 29, 2011

Time planning

Hmm ... I debated about whether to even write today, Friday.  Well, technically it's Saturday, but I've just written some cutting instructions to a group of people I am teaching next Friday night and I realized it is well past Friday!  I got nothing done today as far as sewing goes; I took my mom shopping, then came home and put groceries away, did some paperwork, ate lunch, and then fell asleep for a little bit.  I went to bed about 1 last night because I sat on the computer and did some work after book group last night.  I just can't do that and then expect to function the next day!

The next couple of weeks are going to be really busy for me.  I'm teaching 3 classes in 3 weeks (that's a lot for me!), and then I have to work in addition to my regular Thursdays, on November 12 for our big Christmas open house.  I also have quite a load of quilts to quilt, so I need to sit down and write myself a plan for the next couple weeks to I sketch out exactly what I'm doing and what the timeline is.  I was talking to a friend yesterday, and I said that because my quilting business is starting to really pick up, I'm going to have to get more organized because if I don't, it's just going to drive me crazy.  When I have something to do I have to get it done, right away.  If I don't get it done, then it will weigh on my mind.  I learned this about myself years ago when I worked as a legal secretary.  I would have so much work to do every day and it would just pile up.  We developed a system where we assigned each project a number ... 1's had to be worked on first, then 2's, and then 3's.  I just had to come in every day and realize that I was not going to get everything done.  I just focused on doing the 1's first, and then so on.  How do you handle it when you have a lot of work to do?  Do you have a plan, or do you just kind of wing it?

No comments: