Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Thread and sewing

I've been waiting for an order of Glide thread for a few days.  One of my friends really liked the look of this thread, so I ordered quite a few colors.  I have a thread card, and I tried to match the colors to the quilt, but I decided to order several different colors assuming one of them would work.  I had to laugh when I opened the box and saw all the colors ....

How many colors in the neutral family can you have??  Ha, ha ...  Anyway, have I told you about this thread before?  I love it.  It's a polyester trilobal something or other ... it has a give to it and it never breaks.  It also lays really nicely on the fabric and makes beautiful stitches.  It does have a little sheen to it, but it looks nice when you quilt with it, not too shiny.  They also have these prewound "magna core" bobbins ... it's a special center in the bobbin that helps prevent backlash and makes the bobbin rotate evenly.  They're a little pricey, but I decided to order a few colors.  This whole order cost $75 ... and you get free shipping with that price.  When you consider how much Superior threads cost and other good quality threads, this is a great deal.  I think the 5,000 spools are $7.50.

So anyway, I looked at a couple of the colors and I think there are two that will work.  I usually lay my thread out on top of the quilt and try to see what color blends the best.  I don't like my quilting to be too in your face, so I like a thread that blends in.
One of them is called cocoa, that's the lighter one, and the darker one is called Brunette.  I was originally thinking a lighter one because I don't like a lot of dark thread on light areas; usually the light thread if I get the right color will blend into the darker areas.  But I'm thinking the darker one would look more striking.  She has a border that is the same color as this floral brown/purple fabric to the right of the darker cone.  I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and let Jayne (that's whose quilt this is) pick which one she likes best.

I finally made it to my sewing room and got a lot done on my Christmas Wishes quilt.  All the nine patches are sewn on, as well as the appliqued hearts and stars blocks.  I will say it is such a cute quilt.  The only thing left to do is the applique in the center of the quilt, then a small inner border, and a larger outer border with cornerstones. 

I think two or three more days will take care of it.  I have a lot of longarm quilting to get done too, so I need to eat my Wheaties, take my vitamins and drink my Tang ... remember Tang, the breakfast of the astronauts!  By the way, I went to the gym today and just did cardio.  Boy do I feel so good about getting there.  I also got my hair done and I knew if I didn't go beforehand, I would never get there after.  Having my hair cut and colored is such a treat, and no way am I going to mess it up by sweating!

2 comments:

QuiltedSquid said...

Wow I love all the new thread colors! Your applique quilt looks great too!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Thanks for your input on this thread the and bobbins. I ordered some today. Maybe it will help me love Tipsy (my Fun Quilter).