Sunday, August 28, 2011

Vacation!

Been busy today trying to get ready for my camping trip this week.  Every year a group of my friends go camping near Santa Barbara, California.  I usually don't go, but this year, I am!  I'm excited to be out in the fresh air under the stars.  I'm also excited to visit my cousin on the way home.  She just bought a new home in Santa Barbara, so it will be fun to see where they live now!  I spent today trying to quilt my friend's quilt.  It should have been easy ... well, the borders are really off.  She said she thought they would be ... she doesn't measure and add borders, she just starts sewing and then cuts off when she gets to the end.  Well ... this is a quilt made with jelly rolls, and the jelly roll strips are cut on angles.  I think what's happened is that all those angles stretched and we now have a problem.  It is so easy to take care of this problem if you properly measure through the center of your quilt and get your length and width before you add your borders.  That way it helps square up your quilt.  I had decided I was going to take it off the frame, take off the borders and fix them.  Well, then when I took the quilt off I noticed my tension on the back is not good.  The thread is not burying in as it should ... it's just laying there.  Hmmm ... cause I tested the tension before I started.  Well, I was going to have to rip it all out anyway, but I'm pissed about the tension.  How can I still be having tension issues after quilting about 50 quilts?  So frustrating ... okay, I guess that's my lesson to not try and fit stuff in; slow down and only do it when you have the time.  Well, I've been ripping out for about 5 hours and I'm only about halfway done!  Ha ,ha ... now I really need a vacation.  Have a great week everyone.  I'll be back on Friday with some pictures of camping!

No comments: